Wednesday, May 21, 2014

A Little Bit of This and A Little Bit of That

I got really behind in doing this blog.  Between my trip to Europe, packing for my move to Africa, and actually moving to Africa, this kind of fell to the way side.  I will starting going through some of the process later.

But I have officially moved to Africa kind of.  I am about five weeks into a two month visit to Africa.  As part of my job, I get to attend several training schools over my first three years.  My first training school that starts in about 3 weeks is in Abu Dhabi, UAE .  Before this I spent my first week of employment at a training course in Paris, France.  On June 15, I will have been working just over three months and have visited three countries on three different continents. 

“How are you enjoying Africa” is the most common question I am asked here.  I am still not sure but my usual response is “Its interesting.”  I have been told by many people that Malabo isn’t your typical African city, but then again this is the only place in Africa I have been too.  I am living out of the Hilton Hotel on the island since it was cheaper to have us stay there rather than get us a staff house.  So I have a maid who cleans my room, three meals a day plus my laundry done for me.  I am getting spoiled. 

Although I have been here over a month, I still haven’t been to a rig yet.  They were just about done drilling a well when I arrived and I need to get my Helicopter Underwater Escape Training (HUET) training done.  Once I got my HUET, drilling has stopped and the one rig that has started drilling again is at max persons on board.  Still on-shore for now but am hoping to get off-shore at the end of the month. Right now my days are just spend doing my computer training and in the stop learning from the techs.


I am going to end here for now but leave you with a sunset picture.
The view from the front door of the office.

~And that has made all the difference.~

0 comments:

Post a Comment