Friday, June 06, 2014

Off-Shore for the First Time

From Solar Navigator
After 7 weeks in Malabo, I finally got the chance to go off-shore.  As an International Mobile (IM), most of my career will be spent working off-shore.  Going to a rig is a highly recommended part of SLB’s pre-training, since most of a MLWD field career is spent working split shifts on a rig site. 

Due to the location, logistical, and expense issues in EQG, it is hard to get trainee’s off-shore.  This was one of the main reasons that I hadn’t had a chance to go off-shore before now.  The other was that about three weeks after I arrived in EQG, the rigs had finished drilling their current wells and went into completions mode (preparing the well to start producing oil).

So last Saturday morning, I walked into work and stopped to say good morning to one of the project managers.  He asks me what my plans are for Monday.  My response is my usual working on reading the training material and working in the shop.  He says wrong, I’m getting on a helicopter. This is the conversation I have spent the last two months waiting for. He tells me that after a long negotiation with the company man by one of our Directional Drillers (DD) that he said I could go.  I was to bring with me as part of my 60 lbs of luggage 30 lbs of shrimp, and I would be rooming the female DD.
I spent the next day packing up my hotel room and moving everything that I wasn’t bringing to the rig to the office.  I was unlucky and had a 7:00 am flight so I was unable to bring the shrimp with me but they would be coming later in the day. 

I had to check in to my flight an hour early, which meant I had to leave the hotel at 5:45 am.  Once at the heliport, I got checked in and we had a safety briefing on the helicopter and escape methods.  Due to some lighting we were delayed an hour but it was finally time to get on the helicopter and take the 20 min flight out to the Jade Platform.  It was exciting but scary.  I couldn’t wait to see the Jade for the first time.  The helicopter landed at the Jade, and disembarking with the rotor blades still spinning was an experience.  Once below the helideck, I took a moment to admire the view and the Jade. 

The first thing that stands out is the 100 ft flare off the side. It’s an impressive site.  After a couple mins, I headed down to the arrivals lounge to get our room assignments and to await my rig safety induction.  I am in a double room with a shared bathroom (one of the perks of being female in the oil industry) on the 5th floor of the accommodations.  After the induction, I meet up with the day shift DD and my MWD mentor for a quick tour of the rig, some introductions, and our unit, and then it’s off to bed.  I am going to work night shift with the other female MWD field engineer.  This means that I have a room to myself since my roommate the female DD works days.

Switching to night shift was a little hard but I rapidly figured out some benefits too it.  That 100 ft flare produces a lot of heat and we are about 4 degrees north of the equator so that means it gets really hot in general and add in that flare its almost unbearable.  I really enjoy getting to see what I will be doing after my training school and to experience actual rig life. I will do a post about rig life in a day or two.

~And that has made all the difference.~

0 comments:

Post a Comment